The LL&TL RR began offering rides in the summer of 2003 behind its recently restored C&H #3, a 36" narrow gauge, 0-4-0 Porter steam locomotive. Number 3 is the only surviving narrow gauge mill locomotive of the Calumet & Hecla Mining company that operated the copper milling operations on the museum's site. In addition to #3, the museum is restoring a standard gauge Soo Line caboose, a rare Bobber caboose and a C&H spreader and flanger. Purchase your train ticket at the Mineral Range Depot. (See our Admissions page for Train Ride fees).
Housed in the historic Lake Linden Mineral Range Depot is the home of the largest collection of Copper Country railroad artifacts in the area. The depot also houses a huge operating model railroad in HO scale, depicting the Copper Range Railroad in the 1920s.
The Traprock Valley School House was built in 1914 to serve the farm families in the eastern Traprock Valley. Situated on a one acre plot donated by Henry Williams it educated farm children through 8 grades until 1940 when the children transferred to the Lake Linden- Hubbell Schools. The building served as a community center and Traprock 4-H Club until 1959. The one room schoolhouse was donated to the Historical Society by Albert Koskela in 1979 and moved to the museum complex in 1983. It serves as a historical center for Houghton County’s numerous schools and is dedicated to the Society past curator, Bill Barkell. Visit the last one-room school house in the county, and hear the Sievi school bell ring. Don't be late to class!
A historic WPA-constructed log cabin from the 1940s has been recently restored and is the summer welcome center for the museum campus and special events.
The log cabin, dedicated to Leo Chaput for his long time volunteer work at the Historical Society was one of two log cabins built by the WPA for the village of Lake Linden during the Great Depression. It was formerly located on Front Street as a changing, warming cabin for local residents for the outdoor ice rink across the street. The building was donated to the Society by Lake Linden Village and is available for rent as a meeting or event center and will accommodate up to 30 people. …For more information contact the Houghton County Historical Society at (906) 296-4121 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The restoration process of the Heritage Center is on going and is available to rent for a wedding, reception, musical, lecture or other special event. The 1874 Garret House pipe organ has been restored with a grant from the Americana Foundation and is available for use to qualified musicians. See Heritage Center…..
The 1874 Garrett House tracker pipe organ at the Houghton County Heritage Center was restored in 2003. The organ began life in Calumet First Congregational Church, moved to Lake Linden in 1898. Built in Buffalo, NY, and brought to the Copper Country by ship.